What is recreation and leisure? * Recreation is about activities, pastimes, and experiences which are freely chosen. They are usually undertaken in free time and produce feelings of well being, fulfilment, enjoyment, relaxation and satisfaction.
They are opportunities to express creativity, achieve and master new things and feel good about doing so.
Community based recreation offers an opportunity to meet people while enjoying a range of social, cultural or physical activities.
Why is recreation and leisure important?
- Recreation is important in promoting quality of life.
- It increases self esteem and confidence.
- Gives people the opportunity to make their own choices.
- It gives satisfaction, enjoyment and pleasure.
- It enables us to become involved and feel part of the community.
- It increases the opportunity to gain and develop new friendships.
- It allows us to be challenged, take risks and experience new things.
- It bridges the gap between attending and participating in the community.
- It allows people to contribute their skills and feel a sense of belonging and accomplishment.
- It promotes frienships through shared experiences.